T. HARRIS & SONS
BRITISH DAY OR NIGHT ADMIRALTY TELESCOPE
Early 19th century telescopes are becoming increasingly difficult to find in good original condition, particularly from a pedigreed instrument makerlike T. Harris
Presented is a very large, high quality, British Naval pattern, single draw brass and fine wood telescope from a well-known optician at the turn of the 19th Century, Thos. Harris & Sons. It is engraved, T. Harris & Son – London, Day or Night.
DIMENSIONS: It measures 21 closed and 28” extended. Add 1 3/4” for sun shade. The objective lens is 40mm diameter.
Weighs 2 lbs 8 oz.
Thos. Harris & Sons was a Globemaker, Mathematical instrument maker, Optician, and Telescope maker, Operating out of London and founded in the latter part of the 19th century, Thomas Harris brought his son, William, into the business in 1806.
By 1817, marketing themselves as ‘opticians to the Royal Family’, the firm T Harris & Son were trading from Great Russell Street (opposite the British Museum). 1846 saw a move to High Holborn Street. The firm remained in business into the 20th century.
CONDITION: Admiralty pattern, single draw telescope of brass and fine wood. There is a very pleasing patina of age on both the brass and wood finish. The focus is neither sharp or clear.
Although the optics of many of these antique marine telescopes of that period are not functioning as originally designed, they make beautiful vintage reminders of the period and their use at sea. They should be appreciated for their historical significance and dramatic aesthetics they bring to any collection or decor.
MARKINGS: In Old English Script. T. Harris & Son – London
T Harris & Son were known as opticians and makers of globes, mathematical instruments, and telescopes. Thomas Harris founded his optical business in the latter part of the 18th century. He brought his son, William, into the business in 1806. By 1817, marketing themselves as ‘opticians to the Royal Family’, the firm T Harris & Son were trading from Great Russell Street .London, (opposite the British Museum) and 1846 saw a move to High Holborn Street.