PRESENTED is a bell from an American ship which makes it
very rare. Built by the famous Newport News Shipbuilding Company in 1937 as Hull No. 366, the F.M. Whitaker was 109
feet long and for most of her career was owned by the Chesapeake & Ohio Rail Road, and operated in the Norfolk, Portsmouth
and Newport New, Virginal waterfront. Later she was sold and renamed the Gladys B, and documented by the U.S. Coast
Guard number,
236798.

The bell has a dark brown patina with blue, green overtones on the outside and gilded
lettering which gives it a rustic look. On the inside, it is finished in gold which was the original outside plating.
The bracket  is of very heavy gauge bronze.

This is the real McCoy with a nicely sculptured shape, good wall thickness, sharp
even engraved markings and clapper marks on the inside of the rim. It has a sharp solid ring to it with a vibrating,
resonating sound of a much larger bell.

 ;
                                  
Side view
                            
Top view
                               Interior    

DIMENSIONS-BELL: 3 1/2″ Crown, 6″ Height, 8″ Mouth

BRACKET: 6″ L x 4″ W x 3/8″ T
Weight a heavy for its size 15 Lbs.

CONDITION: This is a handsome
bell in excellent condition without any dings or casting imperfections. The clapper is a bronze ball with a fancy rope (not pictured) attached. Its sound is clear and sharp with a intense vibrating resonance.